Regimental Headquarters Coldstream Guards is based in Wellington Barracks, London.
There is a small staff of 3 civil servants headed up by the Regimental Adjutant, a retired Colonel, plus a regular Captain who is part time Equerry to HM the King and recruiting officer, a regular WO2 (RQMS) responsible for the issue and accounting for ceremonial clothing and equipment, a regimental clerk, storeman, and PRI clerk. There are several volunteers who work on the archives and organising events.
The principle function of RHQ is to provide a secretariat for the Colonel of the Regiment and the Regimental Lieutenant Colonel so that they can carry out their leadership roles, which are:
Cultivating the soul and ethos of the Regiment:
- Leading the Regimental hierarchy.
- Maintaining civic and territorial connections.
- Selecting potential officers.
- Providing advice to retired and serving officers.
Maintaining esprit-de-corps through:
- The observance of high standards and ethos.
- Control, or advice on, regimental organisations, charities, funds, property, museums, memorials and commemorations.
- Promotion of internal competition.
- Attendance at parades, services of remembrance, repatriations, funerals, re-unions, support to casualties and unit visits.
Promoting Regimental interests through:
- Maintaining goodwill and liaison between all parts of the Regiment, including affiliated cadets, recruits under-going training at ITC Catterick, regulars, reservists, veterans and families.
- Liaison with the MoD regarding any changes to titles, dress, accoutrements or anything of a ceremonial matter that requires approval of the Sovereign.